Thursday, April 3, 2014

Event!

On Thursday, March 27 at 5:00 PM I took advantage of the opportunity to go see the documentary A Place at the Table. Going into this I was truly unsure on what to expect I had no idea. In the end I really ended up enjoying the documentary a lot! This film is from 2012 and it was directed by Kristi Jacobson and Lori Silverbush. The film was highly based around the topic of hunger in the United States. I was very pleased I got to see this because we have been talking about the topic of hunger all throughout the semester since the first week of class. Also, seeing this film it made me connect to the book I read, which was Wintergirls. Those girls had eating problems, so it was not the same type of situation, but it did make me think of the book while the film was going. Something I found completely shocking in the film was that as of 2012 there are roughly 50 million Americans who were food insecure. They said that is just about 1 in 6 of the population. Also, children are facing food insecurity, which is very scary to think about because it is going on for 1 in every 4 children. The film went through the lives of three people that are struggling with food hunger. The first was named Barbie and she was a single mother who had two children. Rosie was the second person the movie talked about and she is in fifth grade and goes to Colorado. When they were talking about this student in the movie it just completely broke my heart because she had to ask her friends and neighbors to give her food. It made me want to cry I could not imagine being in 5th grade and not being able to have food at my house. It just completely breaks my heart. The last person was Tremonica and she was in third grade I believe, but I am not sure and she had a lot of major health problems. The problems got worse because she could not eat much because they did not have money and were unable to eat healthy foods that she needed. All three of these stories were so touching and upsetting. I am really glad I got to see this film after seeing this film and this class I am very aware of food and that I do not waste food and also that I donate to local food charities to help those that are in need!

2 comments:

  1. This film sounds very powerful...the story about the 5th grader needing food reminds of the talk I heard at Bronson regarding food needs in Kalamazoo. This is reality.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw the same film and it upsets me how many kids are suffering in their development because they are malnourished.

    ReplyDelete